Alright, I’ll come out with it. I’m a huge Fallout fan. I was unfortunate enough not to get started with the franchise until 3, but that was good enough to hook me totally and fully into the post-apocalyptic world. Now, I leave behind my well loved sniper rifle in the D.C. ruins in the capital wasteland and look ahead to the Vegas wasteland with the upcoming title from Bethesda “Fallout New Vegas”. Bethesda is promising us bigger, badder, and better, and knowing Bethesda, their unlikely to disappoint.
But one part of the announcement really peaked my interest, and that was the announcement of the inclusion of a “Hardcore” mode that could be added on to any of the three standard difficulty settings. What does this hardcore mode do you ask? Well, While they haven’t told us everything, Bethesda has said that Hardcore will mean…
- You’ll have to deal with dehydration. Now, it’ll mean something to have to give up that purified water to beggars, because you’ll need it for more than a weak, weighty health pack.
- It’s been suggested you’ll have to deal with starvation to. A reason to keep food? Le Ghasp!
- Stimpacks no longer act as insta-heals. Instead, they heal overtime, just like real medicine.
- Crippled limbs can’t be healed by stimpacks either. Now, you have to treck back to town to get the local doctor to fix you up.
- And finally, the most dreaded of all hardcore mode changes, Ammo now has weight!
There you have it. Hardcore mode, the mode to truly test if you’ve got what it takes to survive in post-apocalyptic wasteland. I know I’ll be giving it a try!
- Village Building in Fallout 3!
- Fallou- I mean Project: V13 Beta Coming In The Distant Future
- Fallout New Vegas Teaser Reactions
- New Vegas Trailer Finally Up!